Friday

The Christmas Pin Society, Chapter Eleven

The Christmas Pin Society

by Marianne Coyne

Copyright © 2006 Marianne Coyne

Chapter Eleven

The auction was well on its way. The response could only have been God-sent. Each comely pin was finding a new home; not only within the community, but due to Angel's gifted marketing skills, in other states, too. We had no idea there was such a serious interest in Christmas pin collecting. Likewise, in connection with the reason for the auction, it gave people a chance to combine hobby with humanity; passion with compassion.

One of Angel's pins sold for $180, one of Kathy's sold for $220, and so it went. It was wonderful! In the midst of our amazement, another joyful scene caught my eye. Hannah came into the building with Harold by her side. I walked over to greet them. My happiness in seeing her there was matched only by seeing her with Harold.

She placed the little bundle in my hands. I knew what it contained. We walked up onto the stage, and added them to the collection. That's when I saw it. As we placed Hannah's remaining pins on the table, I noticed one I had not noticed before; set plainly in the center of the others. I was sure it had not been there earlier when we had carefully arranged and catalogue-matched each pin. Noticing my puzzling countenance, Kathy, Angel, and Belinda joined Hannah and me on stage. As the auction continued, I asked them if they knew whose it might be. No one knew, but each admitted they had not seen it there during the set-up. I questioned whether one of the guests could have placed it on the table during the time they had come up to view the pins and to take a catalogue for the auction. But Belinda noted that we were sitting with the pins, carefully watching and greeting people; and the crowd at the table was never so large at one time that one of us would not have noticed something unusual. She was right, and we did not leave the stage until shortly before lunch was served. No, I remember, the pin was not there before.

We looked at each other, then again at the pin. It was an exquisitely carved image of the baby Jesus nestled in his manger. It was small, but carved with such intricacy as to see every fold of the swaddling, every delicate feature on the face; and one could almost smell the sweet hay. It looked like marble; not new or old, but timeless. It hadn't the coldness associated with most stone, but was warm to the touch. The craftsmanship was incomparable; even the clasp was carved as one piece with the design. I had never seen anything like it.

The bidding continued during our whispered discussion, and my friends left the stage to go back to our table. My attention was inexplicably distracted from the dilemma. I looked out at all the wonderful people; the Harris', enjoying the day with hopes as high as heaven; our families; the community center volunteers; doctors; business owners; lawyers; council members; teachers; and many unfamiliar faces with generous hearts. I can't forget my friends; my dear friends, who not only appreciated my dream, but helped it to manifest into a glorious tribute to love. I was humbled by the experience and sensation of it all.

I contemplated the worth of the pins as I watched them being placed into the hands of others. Certainly, their value did not lie so much in their original cost; although some were purchased at "finer" department stores, most were bought for only a dollar or two. Their worth, instead, lay in their meaning for the giver and receiver; the thought and effort behind choosing the perfect one for a specific person, and the bond of friendship they symbolized. Yet, now their worth lay in what they meant to a young family ~ hope and new life.

While in my distracted thoughts, the auction ended. Not one of our pins remained behind; each found a new home and a new purpose. Arising to the podium, I offered a final "thank you" to everyone who had participated in this vision, making it a tremendous success. Before leaving the stage, I introduced the Harris', who wished to say a few words of appreciation. Afterward, the room was filled with excited voices, while we waited for Mr. Johnstone, bank officer in charge of the account for Billy Harris, to give us a tally of today's efforts.

Suddenly, I remembered the mysterious pin, but before I could retrieve it, Billy came running up to me with breathless excitement. "I sold a pin!" he exclaimed, eyes wide, and hands clutching his bounty. "What pin?" I asked. "The pin of baby Jesus. Look! He gave me cash!" "Who gave you cash, Billy? Who did you sell the pin to?" I tried to remain calm through his excitement. "A man. He told me to get the special pin on the table, because he wanted to buy it." "What did he look like?" I asked. "He was young, and dressed the best I've ever seen. His eyes and face were so...clear!" he answered. I thought that was a peculiar way to describe someone. "When I gave it to him, he smiled at me and told me God loved me," he continued, "And I said I knew, and he laughed. Look, Mrs. Perillo, look at the money he gave to me!" Billy loosened his protective grip, and handed me five crisp, clean one thousand dollar bills! They were warm, and I didn't know if I should attribute that to Billy's tight hold, or to the possibility that they just "came off the press". "Where did he go?" was my last question. Billy looked around at the groups of people mingling with each other. "There he is," he pointed earnestly past a group in front of us. I saw him for only a second as he turned back and smiled, then he was gone; he went away. I don't mean he got lost in the crowd, or left the building; just...away. "Did you see, Mrs. Perillo?" Billy asked, in a quiet, awed voice. "Yes, Billy, I saw," I answered in the same manner. "This is our secret now," he said looking up at me. I looked at his slightly pale face and believed we did see the same thing. I stroked his hair, and putting my hand on his shoulder, I replied, "Yes, Billy, just yours and mine." He winked at me. I winked back. "Let's bring this money to Mr. Johnstone," I said.

After adding in the sum we gave to him, Mr. Johnstone went onto the stage to announce the outcome of the auction. He cleared his throat, leaned into the microphone, and proclaimed that the blessed event raised ~ I could feel the breath of the whole room stop ~ $67,000! Everyone cheered.

A woman approached Mr. and Mrs. Harris, "This is the gift under my family's tree this year," she said, placing her hand on Billy's head. She showed them the Christmas tree pin she bought, studded with beautiful green stones. She added, "May your boy grow to be strong, healthy, and a man for God." she hugged them, and walked away.

No comments: