Tuesday

The Christmas Pin Society

Each day a new chapter will be added. Enjoy the story!!



He said, "To what shall we compare the kingdom of God, or what parable can we use for it? It is like a mustard seed that, when it is sown in the ground, is the smallest of all seeds on earth. But once it is sown, it springs up and becomes the largest of plants and puts forth large branches, so that the birds of the sky can dwell in its shade." Mark 4:30-32

The Christmas Pin Society

by Marianne Coyne

Chapter One

Christmas pins have always fascinated me. Their colorful and assorted shapes seem to be as delightful as any Christmas cookie. As a young girl my eyes would beam as I beheld the gleaming, ornamental creation delicately attached to my mother's blouse, or the sparkling rhinestones glistening from my grandmother's lapel. These adorning little trinkets were a glad herald to the holiday season; and seemed to me to hold some magical, uplifting power, as I hardly noticed a person who sported one in anything other than a cheerful mood. But for all my affection for them, I reluctantly admit I had never possessed one. Three decades of my life passed without indulging in a single holiday clasp.

Happily, that changed twenty-two years ago when my friend, Angel, gave me my first Christmas pin. The criss-crossed candy canes seemed simple in design, but when I stood in front of the mirror and carefully pinned it to my turtleneck sweater, I once again beamed with the memories of Christmas' past and the hope of that Christmas to come. So delighted was I with my rediscovered fancy, that with each trip to the store, noticing all sorts of Christmas pins, I gave into the urge to gift each of my friends with one.

I thought it would be nice to start a group tradition; so two weeks before Christmas, I invited my dearest friends to lunch. Each prepared a luscious dish towards the meal. Happy chatter and laughter filled the room as we fussed with the final touches. The aroma of sweet, fruited punch permeated the air; and a festive array of cold meats, homemade bread, cranberry relish, vegetables, and lemon sorbet livened the crisp, white linen tablecloth. As I lit the candles our talking quieted. Circling the table and joining hands, we gave thanks for our food, our lives, and our friendship.

After eating, I went to the cupboard, and opening the top drawer, took out four little packages. I gave one to each of my friends. Watching them open their gifts, I was delighted to see their eyes light up, and to hear their happy exclamations in chorus. Fastening the pins to their apparel, and I already appropriately ornamented, we had an air of belonging together; our Christmas pins, like special badges, bonded up in an unusual way.

No comments: